Health, Safety and Environment Tests
It is a mandatory requirement of the CSCS scheme that card applicant’s must have completed a current Health, Safety and Environment test or an acceptable alternative qualification before applying for a card.
For applications to the JIB-PMES CSCS registration scheme, the preferred option is that applicants pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test (HS&E test) which has been developed specifically to align to the CSCS scheme. The CITB HS&E test has been developed to provide different versions of the test, specific to different occupational roles and specialisms within the construction sector.
As such, it is important that applicants choose the correct version of the HS&E test for the card type being applied for.
IF THE WRONG TYPE OF HS&E TEST IS TAKEN, CARD APPLICATIONS MAY BE RETURNED – EVEN IF THE APPLICANT HAS PASSED THE TEST.
The following table has been put together to help JIB-PMES CSCS registration card applicants choose the correct test for the card being applied for:
|Card Type||Which CITB HS&E test?||What revision material?|
|Plumber, Heating Fitter, Mechanical Pipefitter, Apprentice, Trainee, Gas Operatives and Gas Engineers||Specialist Plumbing (JIB) Test||For current revision material telephone 03449944488 or visit https://www.citb.co.uk/courses-and-qualifications/hse-test-and-cards/preparing-for-the-test/|
|PMES Related Occupation, Labourer*, Work Experience and Site Visitor||Operatives Test||For current revision material telephone 03449944488 or visit https://www.citb.co.uk/courses-and-qualifications/hse-test-and-cards/preparing-for-the-test/|
|PMES Manager||Managers & Professionals Test||For current revision material telephone 03449944488 or visit https://www.citb.co.uk/courses-and-qualifications/hse-test-and-cards/preparing-for-the-test/|
|PMES Supervisor||Supervisors Test|
*Those applying for Labourer cards must also have completed either a L1 Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment qualification or a CITB Site Safety Plus 1 day Health and Safety Awareness course
TO BOOK A TEST OR FOR MORE TEST INFORMATION PLEASE CALL 03449944488 OR VISIT WWW.CITB.CO.UK
Revision material is available in book, DVD, app or download format via www.citb.co.uk/hsanderevision
Each of the CITB Health, Safety and Environmental tests costs £21.00.
If an applicant has achieved a full NVQ/SVQ qualification at level 2 or 3 within two years of applying for a card, they can apply without taking a separate health & safety test. If the date on the N/SVQ certificate is more than two years ago, applicants must complete an appropriate HS&E test.
The following courses/qualifications have been approved as exemptions which can be accepted as alternatives to the CITB test, depending on the type of card that is being applied for:
- Electrical JIB/ECS Health, Safety and Environment test – valid for 3 years from the pass date
- Client Contractors National Safety Group (CCNSG) Passport to Safety (Any ‘operative’ card)
- Client Contractors National Safety Groups (CCNSG) Leading a Team Safely (PMES Supervisor card)
- IOSH Working Safely – valid for 3 years from the pass date (Any ‘operative’ card)
- IOSH Managing Safely (PMES Manager or Supervisor card)
- National Examination Board in Occupational Health & Safety (NEBOSH) NOTE: Please be reminded that this exemption lasts for a maximum of 5 years from the date the certificate was obtained unless evidence of appropriate refresher training/assessment can be provided at the time of application (PMES Manager card)
- SOLAS/FAS Safepass (Any ‘operative’ card)
Important Note: Two Year Rule
The test results alone are valid for two years if you do not apply for your JIB-PMES CSCS registration card. However, if you do apply for your card within the 2-year period your card will be valid for 5 years from the test date.