Registration FAQ

How do I book a Health & Safety test?

How much will a Health & Safety Test cost me?

  • Current cost is £17.50 per test.

Which Health & safety Test should I book?

When I have passed my Health & Safety test, how long do I have to apply for a card?

  • Your test certificate is valid for two years from the pass date. We recommend you apply for your card immediately to get full value as your card will be valid for 5 years from the test pass date & will allow you easier access to sites.

Why have I been charged more than £17.50 for my test?

  • The cost of a Health & Safety Test booked as advised by the JIB-PMES is £17.50. There are several agencies and third parties who charge more for the same test, usually on the grounds that they provide help and assistance. These organisations are in no way affiliated to the JIB-PMES, and are not approved by us.

Which card can I apply for?

  • The Registration Card you can have is determined by your qualifications. Click here for details of cards. If you are unsure call us on our free phone number for advice: 0800 1971060.

How do I pay for my card?

  • We accept cheques, postal orders and bank transfers. ( credit card payments are not currently available ).

I need a card very quickly. Can you help?

  • We have a FastTrack service that aims to get your card to you within approximately 3 to 4 working days. We process FastTrack applications as soon as we have all the necessary documents and cleared funds for payment. Please use our free phone number for advice: 0800 1971060..

I am a Supervisor/Manager, can I still carry out manual work on site using my Supervisor/Manager card?

  • No. As a Supervisor/Manager you are not expected to carry out manual work on site. If you need to do manual work you must apply for a suitable additional card.

I am applying for a gas card. Which Gas Safe number do you require?

  • We will ask for your individual Gas Safe Licence number which appears at the top of your Gas Safe card.

I live and/or work in Scotland/Northern Ireland can I apply for a JIB CSCS card?

  • Yes, please call the Scottish JIB on 0131 5560600 or visit their website

I am a member of Unite the Union, do I have to pay for my card?

  • No, as long as your membership is current and you provide your membership number on the application form. Please note that replacements for lost cards are not free of charge.

How long will my card take to process?

  • Current lead times are published on the home page and will be subject to change

I do not have a National Insurance number yet, can I apply for a card?

  • No, the JIB cannot issue cards to individuals who do not have a valid National Insurance number.

I have an Irish PPS number, can I apply for a JIB card?

  • Yes, the JIB will accept applications from Southern Ireland with PPS numbers. Applicants from Northern Ireland/Scotland should contact the Scottish JIB on 0131 5560600 or visit their website

I am unemployed, can I apply for a JIB card?

  • Yes. We will ask for your employment details but if you are currently unemployed please provide details of either a previous or future employer on the relevant section of the form.

I have lost my qualification certificates, can I still apply for a qualified plumber card?

  • We will not be able to provide you with a qualified plumber card (blue/gold) unless we see a copy of your qualifications. You can however contact City & Guilds to replace your lost certificates on 0844 5430000 or visit their website

I have non-UK plumbing qualifications, can you accept them for a JIB card?

  • Yes. If you would like us to consider your qualifications as part of your application for a JIB card, you will need to contact UK NARIC on 08713307033 or visit their website This agency is responsible for providing information, advice and expert opinion on vocational, academic and professional skills & qualifications from over 180 countries worldwide.

How do I apply to upgrade my JIB-PHMES card?

What should I do if I have lost my JIB-PHMES card?

What is the Health & Safety Test?

  • It is a multiple choice questionnaire designed to test your knowledge of Health & Safety practice in the construction industry. It may also include questions specific to the type of work you perform, and the Registration Card you require.

I am worried that my English is not good enough for the Health & safety Test ?

  • Additional support can be provided if English is not your first language, or if you may have difficulties with literacy or using a computer. This help must be requested when booking the test.

My card has expired what do I need to do to renew the card?

Does the JIB-PHMES CSCS Card apply accross the UK ?

  • Yes.

I am still unsure to which card I can apply for ?

  • Call the JIB-PMES Hotline on 08001971060. We will ask you about your occupation and your qualifications, and we will then be able to tell you which card is correct for you, and how to apply for your card.