Select Page

Drainage and Sewerage Installation and Maintenance Engineer blue card

This category of card is intended for those whose work includes the completion of installation and maintenance activities on drainage and sewerage systems and networks.


There are relevant nationally recognised Vocational Qualifications (VQs) which cover this job role, along with a number of other relevant related qualifications. These qualifications are based on National Occupational Standards for the utilities sector. Their requirements are summarised below:

Qualification requirements (VQ)

Applicants must provide evidence of having completed any of the following:

  • CABWI Level 2 Diploma in Monitoring the Water Environment
  • CABWI Level 2 Diploma in Sewerage and Drainage Operations
  • CABWI Level 2 Certificate in Sewerage Maintenance
  • CABWI Level 2 Certificate in Operating Sewage Pumping Stations


  • Evidence of any suitable qualification or training course equivalent to VQ/NVQ*.
*If you are submitting alternative qualifications to the ones listed above, please email them to before you submit your application. This will enable us to assess their suitability before you spend money on your application. Please do not phone us, as we need to see the qualifications in order for us to make a decision regarding their suitability. We aim to reply to all such submissions with a response within 14 days.

Additional information:

Those who meet the qualification requirements can, assuming they have also met all other card requirements (i.e. passed a valid Health, Safety and Environmental test) proceed to complete the PMES Related Occupations card application form. When completing the form, the ‘Drainage and Sewerage Installation and Maintenance Engineer’ card box should be ticked on the front page and evidence of having met the above qualification requirements should be included with the application form.

The standard fee for this card is £40.00 (Fast track service is available for £100.00).

If you are applying for a free card, please download a copy of the application form and submit your application either by email or hard copy.  We cannot accept online applications for free cards.

What are my options if I don’t meet the qualification requirements?

If applicants cannot provide evidence of having completed the qualifications stipulated above, there are two options open to them:

  • Undertake the training that will provide them with the required qualification(s)
  • Apply for an alternative type of card. The JIB-PMES CSCS green Labourer card is available to those who complete the one-day CITB ‘Site Safety Plus – Health and Safety Awareness’ course and who pass the CITB Operative Health, Safety and Environmental test.
x Logo: Shield Security
This Site Is Protected By
Shield Security