Renewable Energy Systems Installer
BLUE or GOLD Card
This category of card is intended for those whose work includes the installation, servicing and maintenance of PMES related renewable energy systems (e.g. solar thermal hot water systems, ground source/air source heat pumps).
There are relevant Vocational Qualifications (VQ) which cover this job role, but there are other acceptable qualifications which may also be used as evidence of having met the qualification requirements for this occupation (Assessed route). These requirements are summarised below:
Qualification requirements (VQ)
Applicants must provide evidence of having completed the following:
- L3 Award in the Installation and Maintenance of Heat Pump Systems (Non-refrigerant circuits) – various awarding bodies, including BPEC, C&G, Logic etc.
- L3 Award in the Installation and Maintenance of Solar Thermal Systems – various awarding bodies, including BPEC + C&G, Logic etc.
Qualification requirements (Assessed route)
Applicants must provide evidence of having completed any of the following:
- Various suitable qualifications from a number of awarding/certification bodies – courses are usually 3-4 days duration. Organisations offering such courses include: BPEC, Logic, EAL, NICEIC
- Evidence of any other equivalent or suitable qualification or training course*.
- Water Regulations training course (various Awarding Bodies e.g. BPEC)
*If you are submitting alternative qualifications to the ones listed above, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org before you submit your application. This will enable us to assess their suitability before you spend money on your application. Please do not phone us, as we need to see the qualifications in order for us to make a decision regarding their suitability. We aim to reply to all such submissions with a response within 14 days.
Those who meet the qualification requirements can, assuming they have also met all other card requirements (i.e. passed a valid Health, Safety and Environmental test) proceed to complete the PMES Related Occupations card application form. When completing the form, the ‘Renewable Energy Systems Installer’ card box should be ticked on the front page and evidence of having passed the above qualifications should be included with the application form.
The standard fee for this card is £40.00 (Fast track service is available for £100.00).
If you are applying for a free card, please download a copy of the application form and submit your application either by email or hard copy. We cannot accept online applications for free cards.
What are my options if I don’t meet the qualification requirements?
If applicants cannot provide evidence of having completed the qualifications stipulated, there are two options open to them:
- Undertake the training that will provide them with the required qualification(s)
- Apply for an alternative type of card. The JIB-PMES CSCS green Labourer card is available to those who complete the one-day CITB ‘Site Safety Plus – Health and Safety Awareness’ course and who pass the CITB Operative Health, Safety and Environmental test.